Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Terrence McKenna: "Understanding the Universe"

                     "Dryad Materializing," James Rich acrylic on canvas
"You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding." ~ Terrence McKenna
The quote if from Daniel Moler's (for Reality Sandwich) article Machine Elves 101, or Why Terence McKenna Matters The article is, as Moler writes, a kind of "Terence for Dummies" includes several good quotes from McKenna.


I've been asked many times why I explore the things I do; why I blog and write about my UFO, anomalous and paranormal experiences, and generally, pursue the esoteric/Fortean realms. This Terrence McKenna quote resonates with me as explanation.

I would just say that "understanding the universe" is an overwhelmingly and very large assumption, and if misunderstood or misinterpreted, may sound ridiculously arrogant. I don't believe I or anyone can presume to understand the universe, as in "Oh! I got it all now!" moment. (Even when we think we've reached those moments of Satori, they soon fade, like a great and very important dream, and we're back to the mundane. . .) (And yet, if we've had those moments, they become a part of us, no matter how hidden away they may end up . . . )  But as a process, a journey for its sake, makes sense to me.

No comments: